We’ve had some sunshine and warm weather the last few days that make it feel like summer is definitely on it’s way, and I can think of no better way to celebrate the arrival of summer than with this sunny outfit!
I sewed the outfit from vintage reproduction patterns from the 1950’s – Simplicity 1426 and Simplicity 1166. The fabric was provided by Minerva Crafts for being a part of their blogging network. I made the top from a lovely polka dot print cotton poplin. The poplin isn’t opaque, so I lined it with a white muslin since if I self-lined it, the polka dots would have showed through. I made the skirt from a solid cotton poplin. The color was called “claret” which I think is a good description of the true color, although I was hoping it would turn out a bit more true red like the polka-dots since that’s what it looks like on their website. Although I was admittedly a tiny bit disappointed by the fact that they didn’t match perfectly when they arrived, I think that when I wear the finished garments they coordinate nicely and don’t read as “un-matching” at all.
Unfortunately, the buttons for the skirt came from my stash. I say unfortunately because Minerva sent me the most fabulous little skull buttons to use, but I discovered (after sewing most of them on) that the shank is vertical and doesn’t play nicely with the horizontal buttonholes. After finishing the skirt I decided to add a little piece of decorative white trim to the waistband so that it coordinated even more with the top.
I love the back of the top and how it perfectly frames my tattoo. I love the skirt and how it emphasizes my narrow waist. I love how the two pieces combine to be flirty and fun and show some skin while still remaining surprisingly modest. Seriously, I love everything about this outfit so much so that I started sewing it again in different fabric from my stash as soon as I sewed the last seam of this go round!
The skirt fit nicely the first time around. The top is very wearable as it, although a close examination shows that the side seam is a bit far back and the center back overlaps quite a bit more than intended, so I’ll go down a size the next time around. I’m really quite a fan of how the front of the bodice is constructed – it clearly accommodates a wide range of bust sizes without requiring much fitting (compare me to the envelope model). Although I could grade out some of the fullness, I’m actually quite happy with how it looks. On my frame it’s modest (well, modest for a tiny halter top) and I like it that way.