This is my unhappy face. This blouse had every potential for being a a perfect addition to my wardrobe, but (like a recent sweatshirt), it just doesn’t do it for me. I love the pattern (having made a chambray bruyere already) and I perfected the fit on my last blouse. Moreover, I LOVE this fabric – it was part of the box of my Rambo fabric, and I’ve since used it on my favorite romper and the sample blouse I wore on my SewItAll TV appearance. It’s a heavy gauze and paired with the black Kona quilting cotton as accent (and for some strength on the waistband and button placket), would make the perfect spring blouse.
The problem with the fabric is that I had just barely enough to eke out this blouse. I was able to do a bit of pattern matching (like making the left front match the right front), but not much. And the pieces came from two different lengths of fabric that were clearly woven from slightly different colors. As I was assembling it I had my doubts, but I just kept thinking that when I got it all finished it would come together. And then the moment I put the sleeves on it went from “this has potential, it’s going to be awesome” to “$%@#$& I hate this”! The mismatched fabrics and non-matching plaids just drive me crazy.
I ended up not bothering with putting the cuffs on the blouse and sending it off to the thrift store (since without a cuff it is average arm length). I tried putting it away for a while and coming back to it to see if it would grow on me, but no dice. I don’t like it any more the more I wait, so off it goes. :(