When Minerva Crafts sent me this gorgeous red and white stripe knit I knew I was going to do something with it, since it was exactly the shade of red that I adore and a great stretchy knit. However, I had a giant list of ideas and couldn’t settle on any of them. I thought of making some super basic tees in no-, short-, and long-sleeves because I could really use some wardrobe staples. And then I thought of finally making a Drape Drape garment that would show off the stripes to their full advantage. And then I thought of a pattern that I’m currently working on, but it’s not far along enough that I’m ready to offer sneak peaks. And somehow I settled on a vintage dress pattern from 1981. I willingly chose to make a 1980’s dress even when faced with a plethora of other ideas. Never would have guessed that from myself!
The pattern is McCalls 7849 from 1981. I made it pretty close to the pattern as drafted, lengthening the skirt and sleeves (as always), changing the sleeve cap to fit my shoulders (as always), and changing the neckline construction to remove the visible binding since I thought one more set of directional stripes would distract from the cool shapes the stripes make in the front.
I know it’s kinda funny to go from a lightweight cotton crop-top and skirt to a long sleeve maxi dress in one week, but I was trying to be practical with this dress. Since it is nearly September it means it’s nearly fall and despite the fact that I want to run around in summer clothes forever, this is my acknowledgement that the weather is in fact going to cool off soon. And I adore maxi skirts and this knit is so stretchy and comfy it’s like secret pajamas which is a total win in my book!
For the sake of full sewing disclosure, there are a couple of flaws that are super visible in this photo and which I intend to fix before hanging this in my closet. (I find it refreshing when people point out things they struggled with along the way to a finished garment so hopefully you do too!). I was actually pretty skeptical that the dress would look nice without some serious hacking since the pattern is from the 1980’s, so a lot of the seams are basted which will make it easy to fix. You can see the the neckline facing is peeking out a bit. I did stabilize the heck out of the neck and understitch the facing so that peeking should go away when I sew the facing down on the inside. I also have a bit of pulling on the bottom of the yoke and the pleats aren’t even between left and right. This should go away with just one more rip and re-stitch :)
Despite needing to fix a couple flaws, I’m actually kinda excited for some cooler weather so I can start wearing the dress!