I try really hard to write catchy intros to my posts that tell about my life at the moment or about what inspired a project or something that will grab you, my dear reader, and make you want to know more. But I’m at a loss for words (which, those of you that have met me in person will know, is something that doesn’t happen often!). I don’t have any more to say about The Rambo Project that I haven’t already said, so I’m just going to jump in and show you this skirt!
By now you might recognize the stripes on the waistband as having been cut from a Rambo III turban. (And if you don’t yet, by the end of this month you sure will!). The front button placket also came from the turban. I had such a hard time figuring out what to do with this weird fabric, but was finally inspired by the turban in combination with another piece of fabric that came from the same box (so, while I don’t know for sure, it was likely to also have been used in Rambo III). I made a summery hippy skirt. I would have worn this skirt to death my freshman year of high-school during my hippy phase (but not during the punk phase sophomore year or raver phase junior year. I’ve been through a lot of phases. Now my style is firmly stuck in Random.)
The buttons are from Alaska and are cross-wise section of deer antlers. I was so excited to finally find a project for these pretty and special buttons that my mom bought for me in Alaska. (Although after visiting Alaska myself, I learned that the buttons are actually pretty easy to come by since the antlers are shed yearly, but lets not let that take away from the fact that my mom bought them for me!)
To draft the waistband, I wanted to keep the stripes vertical, so all of the curve is on the sides, making a chevron (that is very close to matching perfectly. Please squint a little when looking at this picture and pretend it’s perfect). The waistband is folded in half and is interfaced with a knit interfacing so that it keeps a bit of stretch so it is so darn comfy to wear. The skirt body is rectangular panels gathered evenly like a dirndl into the waistband.
The only tricky (and/or interesting) part about this skirt is the closures. I didn’t want to make gigantic buttonholes so the buttons are sewn over snaps. I put a zipper on the inside of the placket overlap so that it wouldn’t gap open. And I added a trouser hook at the low waist line where there is the most strain on the skirt (and where it looks super lame if it gaps). Kinda funny to have such a complicated closure system on such a simple skirt, but apparently simple isn’t the way I roll.)
Since the fabric is a gauze, I lined the skirt with a bit of light weight linen to keep it from being sheer. (Okay, confession time: I initially constructed the skirt with a larger waistband and no lining. Then I decided I wanted it to ride higher (it felt a little dumpy looking) and it was clearly too sheer to wear without a slip which seemed really silly for a summer skirt and even sillier that I missed that fact when initially constructing it, so I ripped apart the whole thing and reconstructed it. Which felt silly for such a simple project. But this is the Rambo Project after all and the fabric needed to have justice done!).
Any regular reader will notice that I feel most comfortable in bright colors, but looking at these pictures I do really like the way I look in this skirt (yay!) so hopefully that’s inspiration enough to keep me wearing it!!