I adore this almost-finished dress, but it’s going to have to spend a bit of time in the naughty corner of my sewing room before I actually wear it. This dress is the Dixie DIY‘s most recent pattern, the Bonnel Dress, that I sewed out of some adorable pink elephant print cotton that I bought in Thailand. “Why the naughty corner? And why are you showing it to us now?” you might ask?
I’m showing you my dress now because I’m helping to spread the love about the Sewing Indie Month Pattern Bundle 1 that’s for sale now until Wednesday, August 12th. It’s a bundle of patterns from independent sewing pattern designers. Including Dixie DIY, Waffle Patterns, Jennifer Lauren Vintage Patterns, Muse Patterns, Sew House Seven, Blueprints for Sewing, Seamster Sewing Patterns, Lolita Patterns, True Bias, and Sew Over It. An awesome selection of patterns by an awesome selection of designers! Act fast since this awesome bundle doesn’t last long (and stay tuned, since they’ll be a second bundle of totally different patterns and designers coming after)!
Sewing Indie Month (SIM) is a month-long celebration of indie sewing patterns where designers collaborate to bring you fun blog posts and informative tutorials. This year SIM will take place in September. It’s accompanied by a sewalong contest with fantastic prizes. Since the patterns in the SIM Bundle 1 are mostly wovens, this sale gives you time to make muslins before the contest begins in September while supporting small women-owned businesses and raising money for charity – yep, 20% of bundle proceeds will be donated to the International Folk Art Alliance, which provides education and exhibition opportunities to folk artists from around the world.
I loved the little cutout detail on the Bonnel Dress and the gorgeous weather we’ve been having in the Pacific Northwest inspired me to make another little sundress. “So why the naughty corner?” you ask, again? Well, since I wanted to use this border print fabric for the dress, I needed to convert the skirt from A line to dirndl. And my dirdnl came out a bit puffy so I took off some width. Only I mis-measured and took off too much width and now the skirt doesn’t go all the way around my behind (that’s why I’m short on photos this post – I don’t want to show off my exposed behind! You’ve seen enough of it during the swimsuit sewalong last month!). So I have insert a strip of fabric somewhere, ruining the fact that I took out the side seams so I could have the border print uninterrupted on the bottom. I’m so frustrated at my stupid mistake!
I did want to show off the insides of my dress. Since it’s fully lined but I didn’t have enough of the elephant fabric to self-line, I used some leftovers from my stash. The leftovers are definitely a different color than the main fabric so I did some serious fabric gymnastics to be able to understitch all of the edges!