I finally sewed Adam a real piece of clothing. I’ve made him ties and pajama bottoms before, but never a garment that he can wear daily. Every time he mentions needing a new piece of clothing (I need more dress shirt. I could use a pair of chinos. etc.) I offer to make them for him, but he always hems and haws and goes ahead and buys the item. And then I saw the Newcastle Cardigan pattern by Thread Theory and showed Adam the pattern, saying that I thought it would be very handsome on him and I would make it for him. And he liked it and said “Yes. That would be great. Can I help pick the fabric? You’ve never offered to sew anything for me before.” And I was like “Whaaaat????”
It turns out, that in Adam’s head, all those “I can make that for you” offers weren’t serious because I didn’t show him the exact pattern I would use. Boys. He tried to defend himself by saying that he can’t picture what I’m talking about without me showing him a picture, and I reminded him that all he had to do is show me a picture of what he wants and I can make it. Oh well. He now has a new cardigan, and he loves it.
I really enjoyed sewing this pattern. It was well written and well constructed. I had to shorten the sleeves by a considerable amount and the body by a bit because Adam is a shortie, but otherwise I followed the pattern closely. I opted to use the smaller collar with the contrasting yoke (Version 1) with the minor change of cutting the cuffs out of the contrast as well. I also added contrast patches the elbows (and seem to have neglected getting photos of them. But they look nice. I promise.)
I used two different sweatshirt knits. The body is a soft purple and black heather (with a very bright purple inside!) that had a lot of drape. It was significantly wider than 60″, so there’s plenty leftover for me to make a sweatshirt for myself as well. We’ll just have to coordinate so we don’t wear them on the same day because that would be gross :) The contrast fabric was a pretty heavy sweatshirt knit with a significant synthetic content. I was worried that having the two fabrics such different weights would be a problem, but it worked out nicely.
The buttons are vintage and, horror of horrors, one broke after the first time through the dryer. Fortunately, I had a couple of extra and from here on out, this is getting hung to dry. Adam’s already worn the sweater several times and loves telling people that I made it for him, which makes me smile.