Oh man. Well, I finished it under three years. Another WIP to cross off the list! I thought this purse was beautiful when I saw it in the KnitPicks catalog. My mom purchased it for me for my birthday shortly after, and the rest is history, albeit a rather boring history.
This project got worked on bits and pieces at a time, often getting stuck in the back of the cupboard for long periods of time. And then it sat, totally knit, just waiting for me to assemble it, for a very long time. And then I got it assembled and decided it didn’t hold its shape like I wanted. So it sat for another very long time before I finally re-assembled it. But, it’s done now!
I used plastic canvas (purchased from the craft store) to build a hard inside to line the bag so that it holds its shape.
I fully lined the bag with Indian fabric purchased years ago in Vancouver BC and a scrap of silk fabric that my cousin brought me from Bangladesh years ago.
I put a zipper on top…
… and a snap on the flap.
I sewed the pieces together with the seams facing out, figuring it would hold its shape better that way. I wasn’t thrilled with how my edging was looking (it was supposed to be I-cord), so I frogged it and instead sewed bias tape around the edges. I added bias-tape piping to the edge of the flap so it would look similarly.
This project includes both stranded knitting (the body) and intarsia with duplicate stitching (the flap). The stranded knitting started very slowly, but became quite comfortable (and fun!) by the time I finished the purse as I got more comfortable with the technique and reading the pattern. My intarsia wasn’t great but judicious blocking got rid of a bunch of lumps and all in all, I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out.