I pieced my March Block-of-the-Month blocks. (One more project down on my too-many-sewalongs this month). These are by far my favorite blocks so far (Okay, I know there’s only two other months so far with which to compare them. Regardless, I like them). These are sewn one strip at a time onto my background fabric. I learned that, in the 1930’s, these kinds of blocks were called string blocks since they used long, skinny “strings” of fabric that were too small to use elsewhere. For this block I used strips of all of the colors I had of the same print fabric.
The second block is called a Broken Spider Web. It stretched out a bit during sewing because it’s set on the bias, but I think it will stay square just fine when set into the rest of the quilt and quilted. For this block I used strips of all of the green-tone fabrics that I set aside for this quilt. I think the mismatched plaids, that were driving me a little batty last month, look just perfect in these blocks.