I’m not sure why, but this was a summer of yellow clothes for me. I made and adored this outfit (and then took forever to get photos onto the blog) which is obviously very yellow. And I wore any little bit of yellow I could find out of my existing wardrobe. And then bought a dozen yards of a yellow and white stripe knit that I’m sewing up as samples for a someday-to-be-released pattern. And I find this all very amusing because I’ve never actually liked yellow that much before (probably in good part because it’s honestly not the best color on me, but let’s not go there).
The super-high-waist and crop top is a recurrent theme for me this summer too as I started the summer with my red and white versions of this same outfit (top is Simplicity 1426 and skirt is Simplicity 1166, both 1950’s re-released vintage patterns. For my thoughts on the patterns pop on over to that post). I’ve been mixing and matching those pieces with these pieces and my high waist light denim jeans. These are outfits I would have killed for in the early 2000’s, so maybe I’ve been watching to much Buffy the Vampire Slayer recently :)
The cotton for this skirt is vintage and I picked it up at the thrift store. It had a previous life as curtains or sitting on a shelf in the sunshine since there were very clearly faded parts, but I thought it was so cute that I didn’t mind. I think the pleats and volume of the skirt help the faded parts blend in just fine. I lined it in a white cotton muslin. The cotton for the top was scraps from a quilt that I’m making right now. I lined it with a cotton gingham that I inherited from my grandma (that was living in my scrap bin since it was pretty small pieces) so the top is reversible.
I added a lining to help reduce the wear on the vintage fabric (since it’s already a bit worn) and to make it not see-through so I don’t have to bother with a slip for a summer skirt. The pockets are still fully functional and it gives the skirt a bit more poof which is in keeping with its 1950’s vintage, so that’s pretty fun.
I ended up sizing down a full 2 sizes on the top this time around. It was wearable last time and the extra fabric volume helped to give me the illusion of a bust. However, I have no worries about gapping like this so it’s more carefree. It did make the diameter around my rib cage too small, but I opted to keep it like this so I could use these fun clasps that my mom gave me.
I also (obviously) added piping into the skirt. The combination of piping and lining required some pretty precise sewing to keep everything where it should be, but I think it really was worth the fuss. It makes the fun colors in the skirt pop! I also opted for these blue buttons from my stash since, even though they were a little small, they brought out the colors of the skirt. We all know how much I like color…